Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Queen of Angels: O Fair Women of Heart's Desire

I think it's fitting that I post one of my latest poems here on Our Blessed Mother's main feast day. Her example of serenity, of submission to God's will is awe-inspiring. It is something that I have a hard time trying to emulate. Just her words in the Gospel are moving:

"And Mary said:
'My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children forever.'" -- Luke 1:39-55

I have found myself struggling again...I've been too prideful and too wrapped in my own concern. It is time to have that change. I know He is waiting for my answer, even as there is silence from both of us. Silence is sometimes the best remedy since it is through the silence that you can hear the faintest of voices calling out. And that makes all the difference in the world. May Mother Mary be a shining example of us all in approaching our faith lives:


O Fair Woman of Heart’s Desire

O Fair Woman of Heart’s Desire
You transfigure all of humanity.
You direct our minds to something higher,
And you do so with total serenity.

You accepted the burdensome task as a mere girl,
And gave of yourself to raise the Savior of the World.
What love do we wish to emulate
As you took in all things into your heart to contemplate.

Even when the skies went dark at the hour,
You were there when your Son’s blood was shed,
Opening your heart to love quietly in his stead
And through His Grace open our hearts like flowers.

Your complete submission to God’s will says it all,
So much so that even when made low you stand tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment