Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Note of Consideration

This way with words that God has given me is something I do not try to flout, as humbleness is best and pride is to be tempered, which I try to limit the amount in puffing up my thoughts and my writings. As with all things, I am still learning of what amount is acceptable.

As for my generation, we do tend to have a "me" factor as is evident with the proliferation of blogs, but if used judiciously, blogs are wonderful tools to express things that matter in one's life.

At the same moment, it was a very troubling moment when the first poem came to me in my statistics class the Monday morning of October 30th. It shook me, as I had been struggling with feelings I am still wrestling over still now, but I realize now that even if the original subject of that poem has dimmed in the forefront of my thoughts the poem has the significance still on a much larger scale.

However, on that day I had to decide what to do with that piece of art that came to me. Was I to cover it with a proverbial bushel basket and hide it from the world? What of the veiled feelings I put into the writing? Should those be exposed, too? I was unsure, but throughout this experience since, I have realized that I made the right choice.

Inspiration is stated by Webster's Dictionary to be "a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation" or very simply "the act of drawing in; specifically: the drawing of air into the lungs." While these words are not sacred revelation in the least, they are thoughts inspired through the graces of God, of which I have no doubt. When the thoughts and the words coalesce as they have as if breaths of air taken in, I cannot deny this experience to be so.

Some of the words I have written and will, in time, write may be a bit more on the frivolous side but so is life at times. The mundane things in life are merely the filler to the bookends of our lives, and so filler must be there for the book to be meaningful.

Surprisingly to me, the first reading for this evening's vigil for the Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist speaks directly to the gift of words and certain graces. Take a read for yourself:

In the days of King Josiah, the word of the LORD came to me, saying:

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I dedicated you,
a prophet to the nations I appointed you.

"Ah, Lord GOD!" I said,
"I know not how to speak; I am too young."
But the LORD answered me,
Say not, "I am too young."
To whomever I send you, you shall go;
whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Have no fear before them,
because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.

Then the LORD extended his hand and touched my mouth, saying,

See, I place my words in your mouth!
This day I set you over nations and over kingdoms,
to root up and to tear down,
to destroy and to demolish,
to build and to plant. --Jeremiah 1:4-10

No comments:

Post a Comment